Saturday, October 31, 2015

Teaching in Colombia: where have two months gone?






Time flies when you’re teaching English as a foreign language! Our intern Ashna has had the time of her life in Colombia and can hardly bear to leave…





I sit here writing my final blog pondering on how two months flashed by and how Christmas is just around the corner (sorry!)… I would love to have spent more time here in Colombia but at the same time I know that I will be back before you know it. Saying goodbye to Alex was very emotional. I appreciate that fortunately enough we all live in the same country, well sort off, so I know we will meet again but it is still disheartening to watch one leave. Reflecting on the times we spent together, the memories kept us strong. Sometimes the people whom we’ve known for only a short period of time have a bigger impact on us than those we’ve known forever.


LoveTEFL Colombia interns relaxing together on the beach
Then there were three! We planned to make a trip to Santa Marta… again! This time for the final time. Honest! It wasn’t the same this time round as the hostel seemed depleted from what we were used to, it was almost like a ghost town in there. We treated ourselves to the spa and spent the day getting pampered. It felt refreshing, so refreshing that we didn’t shower for about 24 hours! Abi and myself accompanied Janna to do the Minca trail again. It was good to know the tour guides still remembered us. Knowing that we knew what was to come ahead we were better prepared this time around.


LOveTEFL Colombie interns relaxing together
It was lovely to meet some new people and make more friends. I would recommend booking tours with either the hostel or a tour operator, as it makes it a lot easier to know where your going and to have meals included, as well as knowing your safe and in good hands. Unless, of course you’re hard core and prefer to explore yourself. It was the same as last time but we had to be a little bit more careful, we had a few trips and falls but thankfully we didn’t break any bones and were alive, just about!
Heading back to the hostel later that evening, I headed out to say an emotional final goodbye to a few friends that I had made in Santa Marta but other than that Tuesday night was pretty much a silent one and an early one to say the least.
Making it back to Santa Veronica in one piece the next day, I rushed to get ready to go watch a live football match at the Roberto Melendez Metropolitan Stadium, little did I realise there was hardly anyone at the stadium, it may not have been the best of matches but it was still worth watching a Colombian football match!


Playing football on the streets of Cartagena, Colombia
I had one last shot at surfing with Jose the instructor. Having booked a lesson early the following day, I think I managed to do better this time! I could be a surfer in no time! Shakhi on the other hand is a natural surfer on both counts she did great. We didn’t do much during the day but hung out with a few local friends by the beach in the evening. That’s our favourite spot, the beach! I surely am going to miss this place.
We had arranged to meet one of the students the next day and meet his family, they were lovely! I admire how reciprocal Colombians are. You may be an only child with no parents but you always have someone to lean on, whether it be the grandparents or the aunties and uncles or perhaps even the neighbours, it puts you at ease knowing they are happy with what they have and most importantly love, healthy and safe.


LoveTEFL intern with local COlombian child in Cartagena, Colombia


This bond lead to a friendship, so they knew we are always there if they need us. We rented bikes and they took us for a ride around the town of Puerto Colombia! I must say I’m not the best on bicycles, I’ve had bad experiences in the past but I think I did pretty well apart from almost riding over Abi’s foot and knocking her over! The students were in fits of laughter watching me ride a bike! I didn’t fall and hurt myself so I’ll say that if was a “smooth” ride.
I left my packing to pretty much last minute! I underestimated how long it would take but it didn’t take all night and I didn’t have much hand luggage which was the primary aim. Then the final goodbye party came along with our local friends on the beach!


Colourful bench and doorway in Cartagena, Colombia


It was sad knowing it was our final night in Santa Veronica with beautiful people that we’ve spent a lot of our time with but it wasn’t a final goodbye! Embrace yourselves Colombia as I’ve mentioned before and reiterating it again…we will be back!
Leaving was distressing to say the least, every step I wanted to take forward I felt like I wanted to take two steps back but knowing that someday I will be back, the steps forward were slightly easier to take.





download the brochure



Source link



0 comments:

Post a Comment